Wednesday 25 September 2013

Questionnaire - About me

Name: Danielle Batterbee

GCSE results:
A english literature, B english language, B science, B additional science, B media studies, B sociology, C maths, C ICT, C history, C philosophy and ethics (ugh.).

Hobbies:
 I very much enjoy comdey, especially Stand-Up, this results in me attending many comedy gigs. I also have a keen interest in crime and therefore spend alot of time watching documentaries / reading various autobiographical accounts (in the least creepy way...). I'm also a NCFC supporter.
Media Interests:
I occasionaly read The Guardian, however I find the internet far more accesible for keeping up-to-date with current affairs, as the interest obtains a wider variety of perspectives on a matter /issue and thus is less biased. Despite this, newspapers (much like books) smell great.

Radio Meida:
I tend to listen to GOLDfm when I'm travelling as I enjoy the type of music they play, however the conversation by the presteners is dull to say the least, therefore I wouldn't 'go out of my way' to listen to it...

Music Industry:
  • My favourite genres of music include: Rock, 'spoken word' and folk.
  • I don't belong to a band, however I do play the flute, and have perform with others on occasions.
  • I mainly access my music online, although I do prefer the 'hard copy'.
  • Personally, I believe that illegal downloading is both good for the artist's popularity and for the 'fan' however it can harm the music industry.
  • The music industry can influence peoples dress, attitutudes and inspirations as the 'fan' aspires to be like the said artist.
Video Games:
  • I  tend not to play many video games, however I use to play my gameboy colour quite frequently, and my game of choice would be 'Waves' of which you literally 'rode' a wave (cool kid...).
  • Video games such as Grand Theft Auto have an negative affect on the repesentation of women, and thus promote an ideology of the attitudes its audience should have towards women. The women within the game are represented as 'damsels in distress' who need saving by the alpha male main character, however their dress is provoactive which increases the hypersexualisation of women, suggesting that they dress so to 'please men' or for male attention; too making the women objectified. Or suggesting that women should dress this way, in order to recieve such attention.
New Technologies:
New technologies have heplped increase my understanding of the world as its such a wide platform, that anyone, from anywhere, can add too. This also increases my level of communication, as I no longer need to personally know someone, in order to contact them e.g. blogs like this one, which anyone can read.
                          New technologies have also meant that the media industry can promote by its own platform, whilst still reaching out to a vast audience. E.g. when you attend the cinema you often see adversting for many other films before you see the actual film you payed for. Social netowkring sites like Twitter also help, as the actors /actresses within a film /tv serise can promote it instantly and frequently at no cost. This method especially helps to reach people whom previously wouldn't have been aware of said film / tv serise.
                                                      The internet also allows a large majority of people to create their own media texts, which can be easily shared across the world. Sites like YouTube allow people to create media about everyday situations, and for them still to be entertaing, much like Soaps, although perhaps more realistic. This could also lead to fame, for example Justin Bieber was 'talent spotted' after posting a video of himself 'singing' on YouTue.

Television:
My favourite television channels are BBC, Channel 4 and Dave; BBC and Dave are especially good for comedy and stand-up whereas Channel 4 is better for (not good, yet strangely addictive) documentaries. I also enjoy the Sky Crime channels although they are ridiculously americanised and thus sometimes irritating. 
                                       The television programme I consider most memorable is Only Fools and Horses, as although during its prime I wasn't born, my family were huge fans and the reruns on GOLD would always be on. I consider it most memorable because its the first programme that sparked my interest in comedy, alongside many others such as Steptoe and Son.

Feature Film:
My favourite genre of film is Thriller /Horror; I'm not a huge fan of 'gory' horrors as I feel they focus too much on the special affects and too little on the actual storyline. Psychological thrillers I find most interesting as, when made well, they make you not only question yourself, but those around you (I'm not paranoid by the way...) 

Three outstanding films:

  1. My first choice of outstanding films is 'This is England'. 'This is England' is based on the experiences of the director Shane Meadows; the film follows a young boy growing up during Thatcher's Britain who encounters a group of skinheads, who introduce him into a world of violence, nationalism and racism. The film is beautifully shot, with a slightly muggy filter which reflects the times but juxtaposes the happiness and sense of belonging Shaun (main lead) first feels. Due to being set in the early eighties, the soundtrack features solely eighties music, some of which is seemingly upbeat yet melancholy, when given the scene /storyline. Joe Gilgun's (Woody,  one of the 'skinheads') performance is especially superb, and adds a slight light relief in many scenes.
  2. My second film choice is 'Rita, Sue and Bob too' (1987) which is also set in Thatcher's Britain. 'Rita, Sure and Bob too' is about two fifteen year old girls who 'fall' for the man f the children they babysit for which leads to a love affair that develops throughout the film. I love how realistic this film is; it doesn't focus on the depression of the time, or struggles, its light-hearted and real, without being over-dramatised or sensationalised - I think often film makers need to realise that not every working class Briton is depressed. Nonetheless, the struggles are shown through both Rita and Sue's family, as well as Bob's wife; Also, Rita does get into an abusive relationship of which she has the strength to get out of, reinforcing this sense of 'independent women'. However thats not the sole focus of the film, which promotes a 'life goes on' philosophy. The acting is at times poor, but that adds to the reality of the film for me. The film is too shot like 'This is England'; there are no great special affects making the film seem too 'glossy'. I thoroughly end this film, and humour within it.
  3. My third film of choice is 'The Dark Knight' (2008). Vastly different from my other two choices, the dark knight was clearly made with a higher budget and perhaps vastly larger target audience. I've little interest in superheros or comic books, however my boyfriend suggested I watched this film and I fell in love with it. I have to admit I wasn't overly impressed with the special affects or the generic, cringy dialog, however Heath Ledger (playing the Joker) is mesmerising. I presume with most superheros one is meant to favour the actual hero, and not the villain, but with The Joker this rule is reversed; his wit is especially captivating. One of my favourite scenes is the 'Ferry scene' on which The Joker places a group of prisoners on one ferry and a group of civilians on another, he then makes the blow up each other, otherwise he'll blow them both up. This scene is unexpected and makes the audience really appreciate how manic The Joker really is. Personally though, the following 'Dark Knight Rises' was a disappointment, proving how important Heath Ledger really was within the film
      1.                       

I usually prefer to consume films on my MacBook as I can watch them on demand and at my own leisure, however I too like to record films on my tv and watch them on there.
                     My favourite cinema depends on the type of film I want to see; CinemaCity is far more relaxed however its variety is limited thus places like Vue and Odeon are usually my cinema of choice.             When watching a film for the first time I usually enjoy it more when on my own, however when watching within a group you often appreciate sections of a film or lines of a film you wouldn't realise when alone. 

Conclusion:
It takes a lot for me to be truly offended, and when one is offended it doesn't really mean that one is right. If I had to choice one type of media that irritates me then that would be the news both with newspapers and on TV; I find when covering serious issues or 'stories' presenters /journalists are often ignorant and intrusive, and its not as if they do this to ensure that everybody gets the 'real story' as when the 'real story' is reveal, such as the Bradley Manning incident, many forms of media hide their support or reporting on the story so that they do not get into any trouble for it. 
          In contrast, the most exciting media text I've ever consumed would have to be 'spoken word' music. I previously mentioned spoken word being one of my favourite music genres, and in my opinion, a band called Listener are true geniuses of this genre. They often cause reflection through their music, which without sounding too pretentious, is hard to find within our 'pop /indie' loving society. I know, I know... I'm so hip... 
                             A piece of media that has most impacted my life is the book 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, the debate of religion has always interested me, and despite Dawkin's kind of contradicting himself by trying to create a Atheist cult, I do agree with him on many of his arguments and this specific book basically 'sealed the deal' on my own religious debate. I also enjoy his style of writing, although he can be ridiculously arrogant...
                                       Moving on... I have chosen Media Studies as an option as I enjoy it very much at GCSE, yet I feel theres still a lot to learn /understand. I also believed that Media controls our society, regardless of class, gender or race, everyone in some way is affected by media, although some more than others. I am really looking forward to the year ahead. :)

I realise I'm making my self sound incredibly pretentious within this questionnaire...

1 comment:

  1. An excellent and detailed response. Your enthusiasm and interest in films such as "This is England" (indeed one of the best tilms I've seen) indicates that social realist films which authentic characters, improvised dialogue, gritty mise-en-scene and an anti establishment message appeal to you, though I'm also leased your taste is eclectic enought to include The Dark Knight which I tried to watch on an activity week in a stuffy classroom and fell asleep! The context of my viewing not the film!

    Well done Danielle a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete